Barnsley 2 Huddersfield Town 2

Last updated : 31 December 2005 By Footymad Previewer
Barnsley's biggest crowd of the season was treated to a thrilling Yorkshire derby, with Huddersfield grabbing an injury-time equaliser to salvage a share of the spoils.

"It was nothing less than the visitors deserved. They had put Barnsley under the cosh for most of the second half and had twice come from behind.

Barnsley had started reasonably brightly after their midweek postponement against Bournemouth and Chris Shuker had a low drive that flashed just wide after just two minutes.

Three minutes later they had loud appeals for a penalty. Paul Hayes fed Shuker in the box and the little winger appeared to be clipped from behind. However, referee Eddie Ilderton, who had a patchy afternoon, waved play on.

But after that bright opening, Barnsley began to be put on the back foot and Huddersfield playing a very direct style of football to gradually take control.

Two Martin McIntosh headers flashed just wide before a scorching 25-yard drive from Danny Schofield clipped the outside of the Barnsley post.

Town looked dangerous every time they had a set-piece in and around the Barnsley box, yet it was the home side who took the lead in the 42nd minute from a free-kick.

Shuker was fouled wide on the left and the outstanding Jacob Burns delivered a peach of a ball that evaded several players inside the six-yard box and flew unaided into the far corner.

Shuker squandered a good chance just before the break to make it 2-0 when his weak shot was comfortably saved.

Martin Devaney then found the net after 51 minutes but was adjudged offside and the same Barnsley player then looked to be clearly baulked by a Huddersfield defender when going through, but again the ref waved play on.

Town levelled 15 minutes from time with a good header from Andy Booth, but just seven minutes later a delightful finish from Tykes sub Danny Nardiello gave the South Yorkshire side hope of victory.

But four minutes into stoppage time and with Barnsley down to ten men following an injury to Matt Carbon, the visitors snatch an equaliser through Gary Taylor-Fletcher.