Blackpool 1 Huddersfield 1

Last updated : 01 January 2003 By Footymad Previewer

Blackpool scrambled a point in the last minute with a disputed penalty as the Seasiders had their play-off credentials severely tested by relegation-haunted Huddersfield.

The kick was awarded when striker Richard Walker, for virtually the first time in the game, eluded the hard-working Town defence and had a clear run on goal when he was shoved off the ball by Adi Moses.

John Hills scored from the spot.

Blackpool boss Steve McMahon believed the penalty decision was right: "Richard was running in on goal and was about to shoot, but he was decked," he said.

"It was a penalty and that's it. The Town players obviously protested, as they saw two points going down the pan. I feel it was just." Town boss Mick Wadsworth, said: "The referees do not have any other choice these days.

"There was little point in arguing.

"The same applied to Blackpool, when they had a player sent off a few minutes before.

"The lad committed two fouls in the whole game, he was booked for the first and had to walk for the second." Despite the blow of conceding the equaliser late on, Wadsworth was delighted with his side: "I was very pleased with the application and attitude of my players which was spot on today," he said.

"We have played well many times this season but have not won. This is largely because we haven't managed to score and you could see the way Andy Booth's goal today lifted our confidence." Town's no-nonsense approach left Blackpool with only one goal attempt in the first half when Richie Wellens escaped a couple of tackles and set up Scott Taylor, but his low shot was superbly saved by Scott Bevan.

The second half re-start was delayed by 20 minutes because of a ground evacuation after a fire alert.

During the extended break, Seasiders boss McMahon decided to use new signing Ben Thornley in a bid to give his side more midfield bite.

And he came up with the goods as the winger produced three good runs and crosses but the out-of-touch Blackpool strike force of Walker and John Murphy failed to get a look-in.

Town's goal - just their sixth away from home this season - came in the 74th minute.

A neat move saw Danny Schofield cushion a header into the path of Booth and the striker crashed home a volley which went in off the underside of the bar.