Doncaster Rovers 2 Huddersfield Town 0

Last updated : 14 October 2007 By Footymad Previewer
A goal in each half gave Doncaster Rovers a comfortable victory against Huddersfield Town as they put on a classy performance for the TV cameras.

The Terriers just could not match Rovers' superb passing and movement in midfield and never seriously tested home keeper Neil Sullivan throughout.

Rovers gained an early grip with Brian Stock and Richie Wellens outstanding in midfield with James Hayter and James Coppinger causing real problems for the visitors defence with their hard work in attack.

Coppinger had a goal-bound effort deflected into the side-netting in the 11th minute but Rovers had only to wait another couple of minutes before forging in front.

An excellent passing move involving several players led to Stock latching on to a return ball from Coppinger and advancing a couple of paces before hitting a rocket-shot into the roof of the net from just inside the penalty area.

Huddersfield were rarely seen as an attacking force with Danny Cadamarteri and Luke Beckett having to chase hopeful punts from the back for their attempts at goal.

Rovers continued to dominate but were unable to score again to reflect how much they were on top and they were fortunate not to go in at the interval level when Huddersfield had a blatant penalty appeal ignored.

On-loan defender Matthew Mills pushed Cadamarteri in the back after Adam Lockwood had given the ball away with a careless pass in the 32nd minute but somehow referee Phil Dowd missed the offence.

It would have been a travesty had the teams been level with Rovers virtually running the game and the home side came out with all guns blazing again to impose themselves in the second half.

Visiting keeper Matt Glennon distinguished himself with a brave save at the feet of Hayter in the 59th minute but had no chance when Mark Wilson made it 2-0 six minutes later with a low left-foot shot from 20 yards following a throw-in.

Huddersfield were poor in the second half and never really tested their opponents with substitute Danny Schofield wasting a chance when he had a weak shot easily saved in the 73rd minute.

It could have been worse for Town but they had a fortunate escape in the last minute when Rovers substitute Craig Nelthorpe hit the bar following a corner.