Huddersfield 0-0 Ipswich- Match Report

Robins off the mark in stalemate

Mark Robins registered his first point as Huddersfield manager but might instead reflect on two that got away as his side made all the running in a 0-0 draw with Ipswich at the John Smith's Stadium.

A clean sheet represents significant progress after the Terriers shipped 10 goals in Robins' first two games at the helm, including a dreadful 6-1 defeat at Nottingham Forest last time out, but the hosts should really have won it.

Neil Danns, Lee Novak and substitute Theo Robinson, back with the Yorkshire club on loan, all had presentable opportunities to break the deadlock but failed to do so.

Mick McCarthy's Tractor Boys, meanwhile, barely summoned a chance worthy of the name.

The initial stages were uninspiring, neither side taking any time on the ball and placing a number of hopeful punts upfield.

Huddersfield had the first shooting chance in the seventh minute, Scott Arfield striking a loose ball from 20 yards and Richard Stearman deflecting out for a corner.

Five minutes later, after an extended passing move, Adam Clayton shrugged off his marker to get a shot away but dragged it wide.

Ipswich were generally looking aerially for Michael Chopra, but centre-half Peter Clarke made a good start in that battle.

There was a nervy moment for the home side when David McGoldrick made good ground on a pass over the top but goalkeeper Alex Smithies held his nerve to reach the ball first and boot clear.

Ipswich's deep line gave Huddersfield left-back Paul Dixon the chance to press up the field and he increasingly looked his side's best outlet.

The Terriers wasted a great chance to counter after clearing a 33rd-minute corner, Danns given acres of space to charge upfield only to hesitate and lose all momentum.

Moments later Novak scuffed a first-time shot after the ball dropped invitingly for him just inside the area.

Arfield saw a well-hit effort charged down by Luke Hyam in first-half injury-time, but the half had scarcely warranted a goal.

Huddersfield had their best chance yet five minutes into the second period but Stephen Henderson twice kept them out.

Clarke's long pass found Novak, whose goalbound shot was parried by the Ipswich keeper. The ball made its way to Danns 15 yards out but Henderson spread himself well this time to keep out a low strike.

Both sides made attacking changes before the hour mark, Ipswich replacing McGoldrick with Daryl Murphy and Robinson on for Novak. It was the latter's second Huddersfield debut after re-joining his former club on loan from Derby.

Sean Scannell followed Robinson from the bench as Robins looked to cash in on his side's territorial advantage.

Scannell injected some pace into the match with two early runs down the left flank but soon faded.

Ipswich continued to ride their luck, with Robinson guilty of a bad miss with 19 minutes to go.

James Vaughan's improvised ball over the top handed his strike partner a wonderful opportunity eight yards out but he produced an air-kick and then saw Tommy Smith deny him a second bite.

Source: PA

Source: PA