Huddersfield 2-1 Barnsley- Match Report

Jonathan Hogg's late winner gives table-topping Huddersfield win over Barnsley

Jonathan Hogg scored a dramatic stoppage-time winner as Huddersfield continued their unbeaten start to the Championship campaign with a 2-1 victory over Barnsley.

Hogg came off the bench to smash home the winner in the second minute of added time.

The midfielder, who signed a contract extension at the start of the month, capped a thrilling Yorkshire derby which put Town top of the Championship.

Town went ahead in the first half through left-back Chris Lowe but Alfie Mawson headed home just after the break to equalise.

That sparked an end-to-end second half but it was Huddersfield who kept going best in front of a raucous 20,001-strong crowd.

Both sides swapped chances in the opening stages of the game, confidence buoyed by good early results.

Tommy Smith fired a cross into the Barnsley box which Adam Davies failed to gather but he was rescued by his defence.

Aaron Mooy took the resulting corner which was eventually headed back into the box

Defender Mawson completely missed his clearance allowing the ball to fall to the unmarked Elias Kachunga behind him

The German striker drilled his finish into the ground and Davies was equal to it.

Kachunga then had a shot on the turn deflected away as Barnsley responded with chances of their own.

Marley Watkins produced a driving forward run which had the Town defence back-pedalling but his shot was weak and rolled harmlessly wide.

Adam Hammill, who left Town in September last year when his contract was cancelled and went on to revive his career at Oakwell, flattered to deceive when he beat two defenders and broke into the box only to lash out, miss the ball completely and fall over

Ryan Kent tried to cover his team-mate's embarrassment but smashed the loose ball over the bar

Huddersfield went ahead in the 26th minute when Lowe exchanged passes with Kachunga to surge into the box, curling a left-footed finish into the top-right corner

While Town dominated the first half Barnsley snatched the initiative by equalising in the 47th minute

Marc Roberts launched one of his trademark long throws, which proved as good as a corner, and Mawson rose well to head home, giving Ward no chance

The Tykes poured forward and Kent had another chance but Ward made the save

The home side replied with two great chances

Lowe again got free down the left and crossed for the unmarked Nahki Wells to flick a header towards the top corner

But Davies brilliantly flung himself to fingertip the ball round the post

Then Lowe and sub Kasey Palmer combined to set up Rajiv van La Parra but the Dutchman could not hit the target with only Davies to beat

Wells went close for Town before Ward kept the home side level when he saved at full stretch from Tom Bradshaw

Ten minutes from time Town almost gave Barnsley the points when Dean Whitehead's sloppy back pass sold Ward short

Stefan Payne went one-on-one with Ward only to see his shot strike the outside of the post

With two of the five minutes of added time gone Town refused to settle for a point and Kachunga played Hogg in and the midfielder kept his composure for fire home his first league goal for the club to send fans into raptures.

Source : PA

Source: PA